Case study interviews and testimonials are great fodder for sales enablement, especially when you’re looking to earn a customer’s trust or validate that the product or service works.
One of the best advantages of creating case studies and testimonials is that they are easy to build on and replicate over time. A rich content library of customer stories allows your sales team to share targeted and relevant content with your prospects via your website and sales proposals.
Below are 100 questions you can ask your customers during a case study interview. Most of these questions will help you build a narrative using the “Problem – Agitate – Solve” method. Use these prompts to get started and add more specific questions for your business or products.
Case Study Questions About the Customer’s Company
- Would you give me a quick overview of [company]?
- Can you describe your role?
- How does your role and team fit into the company and its goals?
- How long has your company been in business?
- How many employees do you have?
- Is your company revenue available? If so, what is it?
- Who is your target customer?
- How does using our product help your company/team achieve its mission?
- Is there anything about our company and your company that we’re aligned on?
- How many people are on your team? What are their roles?
Case Study Questions About the Customer’s Business Case
- How long have you been using our product?
- How many different people at your company use our product?
- Are there multiple departments or teams using our product?
- How are you and your team currently using the product? What types of goals or tasks are you using the product to accomplish?
- If there are other teams or departments using our product, do you know how they’re using it?
- What was the most obvious advantage you felt our product offered during the sales process?
- Were there any other advantages you discovered after using the product more regularly?
- Are there any metrics or KPIs you track with our product? What are they?
- Were you tracking any metrics prior to using our product? What were they?
- How has our product impacted your core metrics?
Case Study Questions About the Decision Process
- How did you hear about our product?
- How long had you been looking for a solution to this problem?
- Were you comparing alternative solutions? What others were in the running?
- Would you describe a few of the reasons you decided to buy our product?
- What was the criteria you used when making the decision to buy our product?
- Were there any high-level initiatives or goals that prompted the decision to buy? For example, was this decision motivated by a company-wide vision?
- What was the process like buying our product? Did you notice anything exceptional or any points of friction?
- Was there anything during the buying process that you would have liked to be different?
- Who were the decision makers from your team that were involved in the buying process?
Case Study Questions About the Buying Team and Internal Advocates
- Are there any additional team members you consider to be advocates for our product? For example, does anyone stick out as a “power user” or product expert on your team?
- Is there anyone else on your team you think we should talk to?
- Are there any team members who you think might not be the biggest fans of our product or who might need more training?
- Would you share some details about how your team implemented our product?
- Who from your company was involved in implementing our product?
- Were there any internal risks or additional costs involved with implementing our product? If so, how did you address them?
- Is there a training process in place for your team’s use of our product? If so, what does it look like?
- About how long does it take a new team member to get up to speed using our product?
- What was your main concern about rolling this product out to your company?
- What are people saying about our product since they’ve started using it?
Case Study Questions About the Environment Before the Purchase
- What was your team’s process prior to using our product?
- Were there any costs associated with the process prior to using our product?
- What were the major pain points of your process prior to using our product?
- Did our product replace a similar tool or is this the first time your team is using a product like this?
- What other challenges were you and your team experiencing prior to using our product?
- Were there any concerns about how your customers would be impacted by using our product?
- What was the reason you did not buy our product or a similar product sooner?
- Were there any “dealbreakers” involved in your decision to become a customer?
- Did you have to make any changes you weren’t anticipating once you became a customer?
- How has your perception of the product changed since you’ve become a customer?
Case Study Questions About Customer Success
- By using our product can you measure any reduced costs?
- By using our product can you measure any improvements in productivity or time savings?
- By using our product can you measure any increases in revenue or growth?
- Are you likely to or have you recommended our product to a friend or colleague?
- How successful are you and your team are as a result of our using our product?
- In the beginning you had XYZ concerns; how do you feel about them now?
- I noticed your team is currently doing XYZ with our product; tell me more about how that helps your business.
- Have you thought about using our product for a new use case with your team or at your company?
- How do you measure the value our product provides?
- What is it going to take for you and your team to get the most value out of our product?
Case Study Questions About Product Feedback
- Are there any parts of the product that you would like to see changed or improved?
- Do you have any feature requests or suggestions for our team?
- What is your favorite feature or part of our product? Why?
- What is the feature or part of our product that you or your team use most frequently? Why?
- Have you used our customer support resources? If so, do you have any feedback from your experience?
- Have you checked out any of our support content or training resources recently? What do you think?
- Is there any content or support documents you would like to see us work on and share?
- Do you have any overall feedback or advice for us as a company?
- Is there anyone else on your team you think might have feedback for us that we should talk with?
- Is there anything else we could be doing to keep you happy?
Case Study Questions About Willingness to Make Referrals
- How do other companies in this industry solve the problems you had before you purchased our product?
- Have you ever talked about our product to any of your clients or peers? What did you say?
- How likely are you to recommend our product to a friend or client?
- Can you think of any use cases your customers might have for our product?
- What is your advice for other teams or companies who are tackling problems similar to those you had before you purchased our product?
- Do you know someone in the X industry who has similar problems to those you had prior to using our product?
- I noticed you work with Company Y; do you know if they are having any pain points with these processes?
- Does your company participate in any partner or referral programs?
- Can I send you a referral kit as a thank-you for making a referral and give you the tools to refer someone to us?
- Are you interested in working with us to produce additional marketing content?
Case Study Questions to Prompt Quote-Worthy Feedback
- How would you describe your process in one sentence prior to using our product?
- What is your advice to others that might be considering our product?
- What would your team’s workflow or process be like without our product?
- Do you think the investment in our product was worthwhile? Why?
- What would you say if we told you our product would soon be unavailable? What would this mean to you?
- How would you describe our product if you were explaining it to a friend?
- What do you love about your job? Your company?
- What was the worst part about your process before you started using our product?
- What do you love about our product?
- Why do you do business with us?
Case Study Questions About the Customers’ Future Goals
- What are the biggest challenges on the horizon for your industry?
- What are your goals for the next three months?
- How would you like to use our product to meet those challenges and goals?
- Is there anything we can do to help you and your team meet your goals?
- Do you think you will buy more, less, or about the same amount of our product next year?
- What are the growth plans for your company this year? Your team?
- How can we help you meet your long-term goals?
- What is the long-term impact of using our product?
- Are there any initiatives that you personally would like to achieve that our product or team can help with?
- What will you need from us in the future?
- Is there anything we can do to improve our product or process for working together in the future?