Selling is an art that must be learnt for successful trading to take place. Selling involves the exchange of goods and services in return for money or any other form of legal tender. A sale is complete only when a seller gets consent by the purchaser to hand over the goods or services and the later then completes the payment of the same.
For this to happen, a salesman must have some unique sales skills that can enable pass the message to the customers in a manner that can convince them to consider to buy his/her product in favor of what the competitors are offering for sale.
Sales skills are learnt but some people are born with natural sales skills which can be beneficial in a trading environment. If a business person doesn’t have inborn selling skills and doesn’t have the desire to dedicate time to learn and develop those skills, then selling becomes a stressful and difficult engagement. Some of these sales skills are discussed below:
1. A salesman should be an effective communicator who can pass information to potential customers with ease. And communication does not only means oratorical sales skills but also a clear and convincing presentation ability that can attract people to consider what you are offering for sale.
2. Together with being a good communicator, a salesman should be a good listener so that the business session is interactive. As much as it is the salesperson who knows much more about the product on sale, give a chance to the customers to ask questions, make opinions and observation because such comments can improve your knowledge base and an understanding of what really your customers need.
3. A salesperson must have the natural ability to solve any form of problems, not necessarily on the product being sold alone. To have this, a salesman must be well informed on diverse subjects. Being informative and helpful in solving customer’s problems, builds trust and increases sales.
4. Selling is an arduous task that requires patience and resilience because some customers can be difficult to engage with. To manage such kind of people, a salesman must have a positive self image and self drive that he can handle any situation with ease. Positive image and attitude guards one from overreacting when things do not go well and keep on trying even when the going is tough.
5. May be one of the most important skill for salespeople is to be well mannered and be naturally persuasive. Selling is about convincing people that what you are selling is better than what the competitors are offering or is the best in addressing the needs of a customer. To manage this, a salesman must have resilient persuasive sales skills than can make customers make right decisions about the products you are selling.
6. It is worthy to note that when a salesperson is making a presentation to a customer(s), selling on the telephone or one-on-one in the office or business stall, picture your potential customer as having the words ‘SO WHAT’ written in their faces. This is the question that you need to answer in your presentation. And the answer to this query is what your product does for them (benefits), not what your product is (features).